How many of the following questions can you honestly say yes to? Me? I managed to say yes to all but three – I’m working on those and I’m not telling you which three!
- Do you always say please and thank you at restaurants, when you shop, when someone has helped you in some way?
- Do you notice when people are approaching a building at the same time as you and hold the door open for them?
- Are you generous with compliments and expressing when others have done a good job?
- Do you return phone calls and emails in a timely manner?
- Do you allow the person with one grocery item to go ahead of you in the check-out?
- Do you allow other vehicles to move into the lane in front of you without honking your horn?
- Do you regularly express gratitude to those around you, especially when someone has done something nice for you?
- Are you available to others without making them feel like they’re imposing?
- Do you pay your bills on time, or let your creditors know if you cannot?
- Are you cautious about how you speak about others?
- Do you make sure never to put down your competitors or speak ill of them?
- Do your customers know that you value them?
- Have you trained your staff to respond with courtesy and politeness in all situations?
- Do you regularly ask others for input, and genuinely consider what they have offered?
- Do you make sure never to keep people waiting for longer than a few minutes to meet with you?
- Do you make every effort to curb your tongue when you feel like flying off the handle?
If you can truly say yes to at least a dozen you’re doing okay, but consider working on the ones that made you squirm a little.